Sunday, November 6, 2016

Sometimes 12 years seems like a lifetime...

All my life I have knew that somewhere there was a child that would become mine that I did not have the privilege to carry and nurture from birth.  I had no idea how or when it would be a reality however.

Twelve years ago today my truth came to be when a friend and beautiful woman went home to be with the Lord.  She was fierce.  She was a fighter.  She was a warrior.  She loved with every single fiber of her being and her love was mighty for her children.  In her battle with breast cancer she never once complained or gave in to fear.  She just put one foot in front of the other and continued to fight for her life.

On November 6th, 2004, our family grew by 2 because I promised Sharon on the morning of October 31st that if she went home to see Jesus before I did that her girls would become my own in every sense of family.  She beat me to glory and I received the greatest gift a mother can give another....two amazing daughters to add to our family.  Since that day 12 years ago, our family of 4 has grown to a mere 17.  Emily, Dave, Asher, Lucy, Erik, Elisa, Jaklin, Shea, Anna, Kevin, Colton, Wesley, Sydney, Katharine and Joe.  Amazing story of God's grace on an undeserving friend who simply stood by her promise to a dear woman who loved deeply and honestly in all that she did.

On this day every year I stop and think about all that Sharon entrusted in my care.  I cry over all that I know she has missed and weep for all that is still to come in our lives that she can't enjoy with her daughters and grandchildren.  I am enjoying the fruits of her labor during her time here on this earth.  I get to hold those 3 little ones and tell them that I love them.  I am the one who reaps the joy of their arms around my neck and the "I love you more" when we say goodbye at the end of a visit.  Every time I hear those voices my mind never fails to go to my dear, dear friend and hope she knows just how much I loved her and how I will be faithful to my promise until I see her again with Jesus.

Some day soon I hope to get to tell those little ones just how much their grandmother loves them and how much I wish that she could be here to enjoy the joy that they bring.  I want them to know that I am doing all that I can to keep her memory alive for them and that if she were here.....oh how she would smile.

I love you Sharon Nicolaisen and miss your sweet smile still..every...single...day.

No comments:

Post a Comment